Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Democratic Debates Detroit - Night One

This afternoon I dressed up as Uncle Sam, filled my little cart with my ukelele, a jar of nuts and some business cards. I forgot the bottles of water I had put in my freezer. It was too noisy to play the ukelele. It was too hot to eat anything. And I had enough business cards in my small purse to meet my needs. But after an hour, I felt faint and needed the water I forgot! I asked several police officers where I could get some water who told me they had no idea. The third officer I spoke with told me to wait and came back with a large bottle of water, which he gave to me. Many thanks!

The police had erected many barricades. If you did not have a ticket for the debate (tickets were going for $100), you had to be behind the barricades which were four blocks away from the Fox Theater where the debates were to take place!  I found a place next to a small park where I stood with my little cart and sign. Less than an hour passed and I was approached by a police officer who told me I had to stand across the street because I did not support Trump. They had decided that Trump supporters would have that corner. Those who supported any of the 24 Democratic candidates would be across the street. All this was done to avoid fights etc., but it all seemed rather extreme to me.


I went downtown to get noticed. Wearing the Uncle Sam suit and carrying a large sign that read "Dump the Trump in 2020" ensured attention. Many people took photos of me or asked others to take pictures of them with me. Most told me they planned to post the photos on facebook. I joked with those who did not and suggested they post -- which is what they planned to do without saying so.

I also had success with the media. Lots of photos were taken by media photographers. It's all a blur now, but I was interviewed by reporters from the Detroit News, Detroit Free Press and Washington Post -- among others. The Washington Post reporter asked me to share some clever lyrics with her.  

I was disappointed not to be able to get a little closer to the action -- but hanging out at a corner with other people supporting or protesting was worthwhile. I spent just over four hours and am planning an encore tomorrow. I'll have to wear a different pair of shoes though. I have blisters on top of some of my toes!

No comments:

Post a Comment