Friday, October 4, 2019

Outside An Oakland County MI Coffee Hour


When I heard U.S. Rep. Elissa Slotkin, D – Holly would be hosting an Oakland County Coffee Hour on Friday October 4, 2019 at the American Legion Hall 234 in Rochester MI, I wanted to hear her remarks. Many Republicans in her district have been unhappy with her decision to support an impeachment inquiry.


The American Legion Hall has a capacity for 75 people. I got there early and expected it would be easy to get a seat. It would have been if I had not insisted on standing around with my Dump the Trump in 2020 sign. The line to attend stretched around the block. Many, including me, did not get to hear Representative Slotkin’s remarks.


I did, however, have the opportunity to meet some of the Republicans who were protesting. One posed for a photo with me, recognizing that you can still be civil even if you do not share the same viewpoints. Some others wanted to argue (which I will not do). When people have made up their minds based on fictions and refuse to listen to what makes sense there is no point in engaging.

Someone told me he really liked my outfit even though he did not approve of my sign. I started to sing a verse of “Dump the Trump in 2020” at someone’s request and a woman told me I had a bad voice and I should stop singing. A Republican, no doubt. I stopped. A man said something deprecating that he thought was clever and then started laughing at me. I ignored it. One man told me it was a good thing I could not change his mind because then there would be two of us who came to the wrong conclusion. Haha.

It was chilly outside – but I wore long underwear under my Uncle Sam costume for the first time. October 4th. There is global warming -- but it won't stop Old Man Winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment